Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Seriously ESPN? Tebow again?



Are there really no other sports stories for ESPN to cover? They have “experts” on arguing about if Tim Tebow being used as the punt protector is smart… Who cares?  I never thought Tim Tebow or the Jets could be more over covered or over hyped by the media until that fateful day when Tebow was traded to the Jets… Now the most overrated team in football has the most overrated player in football.  I’m not saying Tebow isn’t a great athlete, he is in factor a physical specimen, and he is arguably the greatest college football player ever, but he is NOT an NFL quarterback.
I never thought I’d ever say I’d want Mark Sanchez as my teams starting quarterback, but (and I’m already washing my mouth with soap for saying this) I would take Sanchez as my starting quarterback every day of the week if Tebow was my other option (Sanchez can at least throw a spiral). 

It’s not all Tebow’s fault; it’s more the media for over hyping him.  I remember watching a Broncos game last season when they went into over-time against the Chargers; The Broncos get lucky and the Chargers miss a 51 yard field goal, then with good field position Tebow goes 0/1 passing, has 2 carries for 16 yards, and then Willis McGahee (The real reason the Broncos won games last year) breaks a 24 yard run to set up a Matt Prater field goal to win the game…. And who got all the credit for a great OT drive after the game? Tim Tebow, not Willis McGahee who had 117 yards in the games (Tebow only threw for 143 yards) , and a clutch 24 yard run to set up the winning field goal. For the season Tebow completed a whopping 46.5% of his passes... outstanding numbers for a starting NFL quarterback right? 

And before you start saying, but he won, let me say this.. Vince Young was a college phenom like Tebow and started his career leading the Titans to an 8-8 season, with a 51.5% completion percentage and does any fan want him starting for their favorite team now? I don’t think so.

Perhaps the most asinine argument related to sports in history took place on ESPN shows when the Broncos were facing the Patriots in the playoffs about which quarterback you would rather have: Tebow or Brady. Are you serious?  I hate the Patriots, but for the first time ever I found my self rooting for them to break every single game scoring record against the Broncos, and for their defense (Which was almost non-existent all season) to make the Broncos offense look like a Pop Warner team. For the most part I was strongly satisfied with the result of that game.  Now this season I will find myself rooting for the Patriots again every time they step on the field against the Jets.

So everyone stop overhyping and over covering Tebow until he actual puts up respectable numbers as an NFL quarterback.

Side Note:
 For the first time ever I heard some of my closest friends, who are diehard Redsox fans cheering Yankees fans when they booed Tim Tebow at Yankee Stadium.. For the first time ever Yankees and Sox fans were united in their hatred for someone and it was completely unrelated to baseball.

P.S.
Rex Ryan needs to shut his fucking mouth and stop guarantying Super Bowls.  After the 3rd time it gets kind of old.

No comments:

Post a Comment